KEEN invests with a thesis framework that prepares the team with a view on the future, domain expertise, and a thorough understanding of the market positioning of high potential companies. KEEN regularly formulates investment ideas within the fast-changing tech domains of ICT overlayed with market trends on a regular basis (thesis sprints). In the thesis sprint process, the team writes up a document based on its research that outlines pain points, trends, market size, key assumptions, and characteristics of success within the thesis. The end goal is a distilled list of target companies the team proactively engages with. Past theses have been on everything from ‘explainable AI’ (which led to our investment in Dreamquark) to ‘age tech’ (which led to our investment in Farewill).
When we first approach these companies, we start by sharing our network, experience, and capabilities well before any investment possibility arises. We believe that getting to know each other, gaining trust, and proving demonstrable value are the foundations for a long-term relationship.
Keen is looking to add a Thesis Lead to their Amsterdam-based team. This is an opportunity for an exceptional person who can drive highly iterative research and work closely with the investment team. The role takes on significant responsibility by taking ownership of and driving our thesis-driven way of working. We seek someone who is data-driven, personable, and has a good sense of humor.
* You’ll work with the investment team, playing a key role in ideation, researching and
developing key insights
* Write crisp and succinct thesis papers
* Propose investment opportunities from thesis sprints to the investment team
* Head up and drive all aspects of the thesis sprint process, improve it where needed, and keep the investment team productive
* Take ownership of various facets of building a knowledge library and keep track of high-performance companies.
* An exceptional record of academic achievement; a degree in computer science or
another engineering/technical field is a plus
* 1 –3 years of work experience after completing your degree
* A passion for consumer and enterprise technology and a good understanding of the European start-up scene
* A curious mind with distinctive and proven analytical abilities and demonstrated eagerness for commercial outcomes
* Ability to communicate complex ideas effectively – both verbally and in writing
* Ability to design effective workflows for quick results-based research
* It's a plus if you already have management consulting or investment banking research experience in the technology domains
* Fluent English, additional languages a plus.
The initial contract is up to 12 months. Ideal candidates are looking for a way to enter venture capital through an ‘externship’ or as an interim career change. Must have a valid EU work permit.
Full-time for immediate start (ideally Jul 1, 2021). The role will require a minimum of 2 days/week in the Amsterdam office.
Please send your CV and (short!) ‘thesis’ for why we should get to know you to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 14